Updated as of January 12, 2021
On Tuesday, January 12, 2021, the Ontario Government declared a province-wide state of emergency, including stay-at-home orders and enhanced enforcement measures to reduce mobility in order to slow the spread of Covid-19. These additional restrictions will remain in place across the province beginning Thursday, January 14 at 12:01 a.m. for 28 days.
No further restrictions on physiotherapy practices have been announced to date. Physiotherapists and other regulated health professionals may continue to operate, consistent with current guidelines for regulated health professionals. As such, all of Propel Physiotherapy’s clinics will remain open with all services available to new and existing clients.
Earlier this year, in response to the pandemic, we adopted measures recommended by our professional organizations through IPAC and Ontario Public Health. We also completed full risk assessments of both of our clinic locations and came up with stringent health and safety protocols, which have been successful in keeping our clients, staff and clinic safe and covid-free. We would like to extend our heartfelt thanks for all of our clients and staff for following the guidelines.
The pandemic has created increased stress and anxiety levels for many people. In addition, it has created barriers to accessing important services that can help people take care of their mental and physical health.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind you that virtual therapy and at-home or mobile therapy are effective alternatives to in-clinic therapy for many of our clients. We hope that by providing you with as many alternatives to in-clinic care during these times, we can help you to continue on the path towards your goals.
Virtual Therapy & Tele-Rehab
As an alternative to receiving direct therapy, we continue to offer all clients the option to receive tele-rehab or virtual therapy services to address your current needs. This is a suitable alternative given the current circumstances and part of the scope of practice of physiotherapists, registered kinesiologists and exercise physiologists.
We use a secure and privacy compliant telehealth videoconferencing tool called Doxy or regular telephone for communication. Our therapists will be able to provide the assistance you need to navigate this new format of therapy.
Virtual physiotherapy has the potential to achieve similar outcomes as face-to-face therapy. Due to the nature of tele-rehab sessions, we have found that clients are extremely engaged in the exercise and education aspect of their rehab. And in situations where we simply cannot address the client with manual therapy, exercise and education are two of our greatest tools!
Learn more about what to expect from virtual therapy here.
At Home Therapy
The convenience of having a physiotherapist come to your home eliminates barriers faced by those who can’t drive, access a ride or even travel in a car without experiencing a flare up of symptoms. This improved access to therapy makes it easier for clients to be an active participant in their recovery.
Being able to interact with clients in their home and/or community and setting enables a therapist to see how the client moves and completes tasks in their everyday life. Setting goals therefore becomes more concrete and applicable, like being able to walk to the.
Learn more about at home physiotherapy.
Supplementary Resources Online
In addition to providing at home therapy and virtual therapy, we continue to provide supplementary video content on our website and social media, as well as through our monthly newsletter to assist with at-home ergonomics, stretching and mindfulness meditation to provide some additional assistance to people in continuing to adapt to these ever-changing circumstances.
We hope that you and your loved ones continue to stay safe and healthy. We thank you for your continued support and look forward to seeing you at Propel Physiotherapy in the near future.
Propel Physiotherapy’s Health & Safety Protocols
We have adopted measures recommended by our professional organizations through IPAC and Ontario Public Health. We have also completed full risk assessments of both of our clinic locations and have come up with stringent health and safety protocols.
- The waiting rooms and board room have been rearranged and clearly marked to observe two-metre social distancing
- Sneeze guards have been installed at the front desk
- Directional arrow floor signs ensure one-way flow of people around clinic
- Gym equipment usage zones clearly marked to maintain safe social distancing
- Signage throughout the space reminding people to keep safe physical distancing – two metres while in clinic
- All of our therapists will have appropriate Protective Personal Equipment including: gloves, mask, face shield and gowns/scrubs. We are also asking all clients to wear face masks in the clinic
- We have strict protocols for hand washing and hand sanitizing between clients We are also asking clients to wash and disinfect their hands before entering and again before leaving the clinic
- All fabric surfaces have been covered with vinyl plastic that is sprayed and disinfected after each client
- Cleaning protocol includes regular and frequent disinfecting of common areas and high-use surfaces after every client or staff contact
- We have hand sanitizers in each room and in all open areas for use
- Appointment times are staggered to ensure everyone can maintains two-metres physical distancing while at our locations, whether in our waiting rooms, a treatment room, the open gym area or our board room
- We change the treatment table linens (sheets, pillow cases, towels, exam table paper) and sanitize each table or equipment after each appointment
Your Screening and Appointment Protocol
- A three-step screening protocol will be implemented before you enter the clinic – including two passive screens and one active at the door to the clinic. If you are experiencing any respiratory or flu-like symptoms or have travelled to any areas where the Coronavirus is spreading, we would ask that you wait a period of 14 days before coming to an appointment. Please call us and we would be happy to reschedule your appointment.
- We are asking all clients to please wear their own face masks during treatment sessions, whether in clinic or at home. If you do not have a mask, we will help you source one. Please wash or disinfect your hands upon entering the clinic and again before you leave.
We will continue to keep informed with Public Health protocols and implement any recommended safety measures that aren’t already in place. We thank you for taking the time to read this and doing your part in ensuring the health, safety and well-being of all.
Download our health & safety poster for an overview of these protocols.